When many think of Easter, they think of bunnies, baby chicks, candy, and chocolate. I am no different. Every year I make this carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. (And when I say every year, I mean starting from last year). It’s three layers of soft, decadent cake separated by luscious cream cheese frosting. It’s gently spiced, with some lemon in the frosting to cut the sweetness. It’s received rave reviews from everyone I’ve ever served it to. However, little ducks, rabbits, and eggs are definitely not all I think about at Easter…
Easter is a very special time for me and my family. As Mormons, we believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice for us. As stated in our 3rd Article of Faith, “We believe that thr0ugh the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.” We believe in forever families. I will get to see all my family again after this life, and I am eternally grateful.
This post is very short, because all I want you to do is this:
Watch this beautiful 2 minute video that encompasses how we feel about Easter – Hallelujah!
And here’s the recipe 🙂
Here's What You Need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups of oil
- 3/4 cups of natural unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 cups finely grated carrots
- 6 eggs
- 2 8 oz. packages softened cream cheese
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- zest from one lemon
- 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cups chopped pecans
Here's What You Do:
- Turn oven to 350 F degrees. Prepare 3 circular 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Don't use only cooking spray if you can help it. These cakes will stick very easily to the bottom of your pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Stir in oil, then apple sauce.
- Stir in grated carrots.
- One at a time, add eggs, stirring in between.
- Once mixture is thoroughly integrated, pour evenly between the 3 pans.
- Cook on center rack for 40-50 minutes. It will caramelize slightly on the top. Bake until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Once cakes are fully baked, remove from the oven and allow to cook in the pans for ten minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cakes, and turn them out CAREFULLY onto cooling racks.
- Allow to cool fully before frosting.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on high until fully combined.
- Beat in vanilla and zest.
- One cup a time, add powdered sugar to preferred consistency.
- Frost the cake. Then press chopped nuts into the sides and top edge of the cake.